Home>Aktivitäten>Sehenswürdigkeiten>Attraktionen>Kärnäkoski fortress and mill

Kärnäkoski fortress and mill

A fortress area located near the Kärnäkoski rapid is an interesting place to visit. The bastion fortress, built by Russian General Alexander Suvorov as part of the defence of St. Petersburg, was completed in 1793. The fortress area is classified as a nationally important, cultural historical environment and scenic area. During the summer, sheep graze freely in the area. The fortress area is also accessible by boat.

A flour mill and sawmill built in the 1800s and powered by the Kärnäkoski rapids are well worth exploring as an authentic part of the cultural milieu of the area. The historical mills are located right next to the fortress. In the nearby barge harbour, one can peep into the clear water to view barge wooden structures that have sunk long ago. One can also enjoy the lake view and have a picnic in the close-by Vuorilinnoitus shelter.
Kärnäkoski fortress and mill
Partakoskentie 845
54800
Savitaipale

Location

Lake Saimaa, Purest Finland Regional Council of South Karelia Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment Rural 2020 The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas
The site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information, see our Privacy Statement.
OK