Rautjärvi is situated close to the Russian border, on Highway 6. There are numerous natural attractions in Rautjärvi, for example former border site Haukkavuori with stunning views over the surrounding landscape is a popular destination for the whole family.
By River Hiitolanjoki there are Hydroelectric Power Stations Ritakoski, Lahnanen and Kangaskoski. There are also monuments of several historical demarcations, this area had belonged to both Russia and Sweden over time.
More points of interest in Rautjärvi:
* Burial Chamber of the Imprisoned Rifleman on Iivanansaari island: accessible by boat
* Rautjärvi Wooden Church and Simpele Stone Church with their stained glass windows
* Miettilä Historical Reserve Garrison from the 1880s, featuring the Kollaa Rooms: open by arrangement
* Museum Road between Miettilä and Niska-Pietilä, signposted from Highway 6
* Pirunkirkko (The Devil's Church), a secret cave hideaway dating from the days of the Great Wrath' during the Great Northern War (1700-21)